This post is sponsored by Tea India. As always, all opinions are my own.
I love helping people start living healthier and showing them that it doesn't mean you have to be on a restrictive diet. The number one question most of my South Asian clients ask me is if they can still have their tea now that they're eating healthier.
At first, I used to say "yes of course" because I know how essential a cup of chai is to every Desi woman's day. But then, I realized that a cup of chai usually means a sweet treat on the side. Whether it is biscuits or rusk. That's where I would try and find healthier options to have with that cup of chai.
I'm so excited to share this recipe for Chocolate Almond Biscotti that is low carb and naturally sweetened! For all you true blue Desis, you can call this rusk as well.
Regardless of what you call it, it goes perfectly with your cup of chai. I paired it with a cup of Tea India Chai Moments Instant Masala Chai Latte. It was so easy to make by simply adding hot water to the mix. These days with my toddler and newborn, it can be challenging to stand over the stove just to get a good cup of chai! The instant packets made it super easy, without compromising on the flavour. I loved the masala flavour, which complemented the nutty and chocolate hints from the biscotti.
This Chocolate Almond Biscotti is quite unique in that it is made without any white flour! Instead, I swapped it with ground almonds (also known as almond flour). Instead of using sugar, I sweetened it with date syrup, which is 100% dates! The date syrup gives a nice golden brown colour to the biscotti.
If you haven't made biscotti before, you will need to know that it required double baking to get that distinct crispiness. Don't let that scare you from making it! It is still quite an easy process. You Also want to make sure you make cuts at a very sharp angle to get long biscotti.
The end result is a perfect tea companion that is low in carbs and packed with protein!
Healthy Low Carb Chocolate Almond Biscotti
Makes: 12-14 biscotti
3 cups ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup date syrup
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1. Preheat oven to 350F. In a large bowl, mix together ground almonds, baking powder, and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, mix together eggs, vanilla, coconut oil, and date syrup.
3. Add liquid ingredients to dry mixture and mix until well combined. The mixture will be slightly wet.
4. On the counter, sprinkle almond flour and place dough on the counter. Mix with hands until it comes together and is less sticky. Form into the shape of a log (about 10 inches long by 2 inches wide).
5. Place on a sheet lined with parchment paper. Place in oven and bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown.
6. Remove from oven and let cool for about 5-10 minutes, until easy to handle.
7. Using a sharp serrated knife, cut the log at a sharp angle with each biscotti being about 3/4 inch thick.
8. Place biscotti back onto parchment paper and bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven, flip biscotti over to the other side and bake for another 5 minutes. Remove from over and let cool. (Biscotti will not harden until completely cooled).
9. In a double broiler, melt Dark chocolate chips. In two separate plates, spread dark chocolate and almonds. Dip side of biscotti in dark chocolate and then sprinkle almonds over. Place biscotti on parchment paper and in the fridge for 10 minutes, until chocolate hardens.
10. Enjoy with a cup of chai! Biscotti can be stored for multiple days. You can also skip the dark chocolate and have it plain as rusk.
If you make this recipe, please share a picture with me on Instagram by tagging me @NutritionbyNaz.